4/28/2007

Rapunzel

My husband, like 90% of the male population (just a wild, but probably pretty accurate guess on the %), prefers long hair. Right now, my locks are long and to him, I am guessing luscious. Tonight I am going to get 'em all chopped off. Or at least significantly shortened.

I ran into some friends today and mentioned that I was going to give my hair the ax.

"What about Michael?" they asked. "Doesn't he prefer you with long hair?"

I found myself giving them all of my many reasons for wanting my hair gone: it is all over the house and is disgusting me...our shark cordless vacuum looks like it swallowed a human head with all of my nasty hair tangled in the brushes, Lucas tugs at it (lovingly, but quite annoying none the less), eats it playfully and while doing this gets his snot, food or whatever is on his face in my hair, Emily spits up in it and pulls it not so lovingly, I feel like I am living in the 90's with my same long, straight hair as in high school (I like to change it up every year or so),it finds its way onto the dinner table, wrapped around my children's fingers and toes, and I am starting to feel like I look like a neanderthal woman all weighed down and bushy.

Some good reasons for sure. But my friends question got me wondering, am I being selfish by not wanting to be pleasing to my husband? Should I keep it long so that he will find me most attractive?

5 comments:

Katrina said...

How does your new hair cut look? Post a picture...I'd like to see it. I know exactly what your talking about, Eric is the same way - he loves the long hair. I feel like I only have long hair so that I can pull it back into the "mommy ponytail"! Long hair and little kiddos just don't go together.

Anonymous said...

I am sure you look great in your new hair cut. I do believe you are pretty accurate on the 90%. Hudson also prefer I have long hair. Lucky for him I like my hair long also and we don't have little kids. So, therefore it is pretty easy for me to please him in that regard.

As for your question about being selfish it is not the case. First of all from Mike's blogs and comments it is obivious that he would be extremely pleased with you no matter what length your hair is. Sure he might prefer longer hair, but I you being comfortable and happy is way more pleasing to him.

running shoes said...

umm, for tom it's the opposite. he prefers me with shorter hair... i prefer hair at a length to be able to pull up in a cocoa-tail (pony-tail).
i have also struggled with whether i was being selfish, but if it's not a heart issue and you're not doing it just to spite him, then it's being practical.

Anonymous said...

Ahem, if only more women kept their long hair, there'd be fewer divorces. OK, I'm exagerating, but not by much. Ronnie

Anonymous said...

Get your baseball bats out---I ABSOLUTELY think that woman should wera their hair long if they knew going into the marriage that hubby is a hair guy and loves yours long. Ronnie