2/04/2006

Scare

Lucas could have gotten seriously hurt or worse today because of a mistake I made.

We came up the stairs and I had my hands full with him and my drink (just water) so I didn't close the gate at the top of the staircase. I usually go back and do this right away, but didn't because we got distracted and started playing in his room.

I was reading him a book and a little into it he crawled out of his room and down the hall. I had shut all of the doors and thought that the gate was shut so I assumed he was ok. I continued reading the book to him thinking that he would be back any moment. After a while with no sound from him, I thought that I should check on my mischievious son. What was he up to now?

My heart stopped when I turned the corner and saw the gate wide open and no sign of Lucas. Then I saw him teetering on the top step trying to go down by himself backwards. Shaking, I quickly scooped him up and thanked God that he didn't fall. I hate that I was so careless.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If I could remember all of the times that I should have/could have been seriously injured or killed because of a mistake I made, then I'm sure I could generate a pretty long list.

I don't know if God assigns an angel to protect us, or how that works exactly, but I think there are times when He has surely provided protection for me.

Similarly, for Lucas and any other kiddos God will give us, it is our responsibility to do the best we possibly can. No matter how hard we try though, we're going to make mistakes. No doubt about it.

For the things we cannot control though or the moments when we screw up, we have to just pray and rely on God to be there (or His angels, or however that works).

And then, when the day is done and (hopefully) all is well, we need to humbly come before Him and give Him thanks and recognition for His protection and provision.

-Michael (Lucas' daddy)