12/15/2005

Party Pooper

I cannot stand sales gatherings that masquerade as parties. Tupperware, Party Light, cheap, crappy jewlery, Pampererd Chef. You name it, I've been to it or been invited.

I used to go out of politeness, especially when it was a friend hosting it. Then to be nice, I would feel as if I had to buy something. Something turned into 4-5 things and I was spending $75+ on crap that I never use and didn't need.

Now, I turn them down whenever I am invited. Recently, I was given an invitation to a purse party. What the heck is that?! I thanked the hostess (a neighbor who I had just met) and proceeded to throw the invitation in the trash right in front of her. I did this without thinking and it only dawned on me after I had done it. Guess I probably blew my chances of being her best friend.

Having a candle party? Don't waste the stamp on me. Count me out.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You really threw it in the trash IN FRONT of her?! wow. I bet she was mad at you and ran to the 4th floor of the nearest high rise.

Amanda Lomonaco said...

Sadly, yes. It wasn't immediately upon being handed the invitation and I didn't rip it up in her face or anything like that. We were at a gathering of neighbors and I mindlessly crumpled it and chucked it in the trash on the way out. She was still there so she may or may not have seen me do it. She hasn't really spoken to me since though. I just felt like that was rude as hell, so unlike me. I always at least try to be nice at all times.