8/19/2008

Trials (and Joys) of Motherhood

We've had a busy morning. I had to take Lucas into the Pediatrician because he had blood in his stool yesterday (the third time that I have noticed it this summer). He checked him out and decided to have a stomach X-ray done. I had to wait for hours in the office with two wiggly kids and then had to get my 3-year-old to lie still by himself on a table to get a tummy X-ray. This is very scary stuff, but Lucas surprised me by being super brave. He is really growing up!

After all of that, it turns out that my boy is constipated. The doc could see the evidence in the X-ray. Just as I suspected all along, my kid is full of #$%*;-).

After a lovely anniversary picnic with Daddy, we had to stop by the store and pick up all kinds of food assistance (prunes, apricots, pineapple). Later I have to go back and pick up a couple of prescriptions for him, too.

I also need to get one for Emily, whose diaper rash yesterday was so bad her diaper had blood in it. I had her wear underwear for most of the day and even let her walk around with a bare bottom for awhile. It was like we were potty training. And it was a long day full of accidents and messes. She even pooped on the carpeting when she was bare. It wasn't solid either which made it especially fun to clean up.

When I got home today, I called my friend, Becky, who is sitting for us tonight so that we can go out and celebrate 8 years of marriage. She had just come home from the Emergency Room with her daughter who is Emily's age to remove a Lego that she had shoved up her nose. Sheesh. "We just got back from stomach X-rays."

It is never easy to be a mom (what an idiot I was, when I thought that it would be!!). But when they hug and cuddle you and tell you that they love you, it makes it all the day's challenges and troubles melt away. And when I see their angelic, content faces sleeping serenely, there is nothing in the world that I would rather be than their mama. Nothing harder, but nothing better!

6 comments:

kimcheebasa said...

happy anniversary. hope it was a good one. when are you going to let us watch your chillins sometime?

soak up these early years, they fly by....

Katrina said...

Happy Anniversary! Seems like not so long ago I went to your wedding...my how time flies by. Sorry to hear about poor Lucas, glad it wasn't anything more serious.

michael said...

Lucas must take after his old man - the full of s#$t part anyway.

-Lucas' old man

~Praying Through Life~ said...

Sheesh....I hear you, though...it's rough but so worth it...

Anna said...

Amanda, I love posts like this...keeping it real but also appreciating your kids in the midst of hard weeks:-) Thanks for sharing...poor Lucas:(

running shoes said...

wow! what an adventurous parenting week for you.
Happy Anniversary! thank you for posting your trials and your encouraging words/ reflections. God really knows what He's doing in placing each child with parents He's hand picked.