7/23/2008

Metal Head

I officially have metal in my head again. The last time I had this I was 14 years old waiting to get my braces off. The braces lasted 4 years (I think). This staple that I now have gracing my skull will be out in another week. Thank goodness for that because I have to keep my head dry until then. No washing the hair until it's removal, though I cheated twice, trying to keep the area hair dry and failed miserably. I even had to go back in the the morning the day after it was inserted to "get my head checked" and see if I had to have it restapled. The staple felt like it was pulling out. Probably because I got it wet the evening before. Luckily, it was ok that day. Just now, I was able to wiggle it like a loose tooth, though. Hmmm. Is that normal?

So, why do I have this staple in my head you ask?

Well, the afternoon after we returned home, I was in a frenzy of getting organized again. Dirty clothes were in sorted piles on the kitchen floor. Grocery bags were on the table waiting to be unpacked. Mike and I were talking and both started to start putting the groceries away in the kitchen cabinets. I looked down and noticed that the kid's laundry pile had their filthy white socks and decided to sort them into our load for bleaching. I didn't pay attention to the fact that the kitchen cabinets were standing open above me and bent to sort the socks. When I stood up straight, the cabinet door (which felt like it was made of petrified wood) went right into my head. I crumpled to the floor and cried. I am a tough girl, but it hurt that bad! I just knew that it was bleeding and sure enough I had an open wound.

That night, I took myself to an emergency clinic to get my head fixed. A tetnus shot and one staple later (they actually use a medical staple gun to put it in!) and I am doing better. Let's just hope my hair holds out for a week of no washing and that I don't catch the staple on the brush anymore. That really smarts.

Signed,
One Greasy Woman

P.S. I will post a photo of how bad the do looks on the last day! Stay tuned...

4 comments:

michael said...

You should post a picture of the open wound! We have a picture of it.

Unknown said...

I have no words. I am in such sympathy pain.

Thanks for your call!!! I will do my darndest (who says that???) to call you tomorrow or this weekend. Do you know how much I miss you? SO STINKING MUCH.

running shoes said...

woah! that's a pretty solid cabinet door.

sorry your head got stapled and you are greasy. did they have to shave some of your hair to pt the staple in?

Katrina said...

Ouch, that sounds painful! Do you have any hats you can wear in the meantime? Glad it wasn't anything more serious.