10/12/2007

Seasonal Squares

Fall has got to be one of my favorite times of year. I had no idea what fall was like in Florida as the leaves didn't really change and we had maybe a week of cooler, nicer weather until the heat and humidity kicked it into full gear again.

Out here it is gorgeous. Leaves started turning reds, browns, yellows and oranges at the end of September. Doesn't that seem early? The weather has been cool and crisp and today is cloudy. I love overcast days for a change as we see sunshine and only sunshine for the whole summer. No afternoon thundershowers out here.

Anyway, to celebrate the arrival of this awesome season, I made pumpkin squares yesterday afternoon. They turned out delicious so I decided to share the recipe with you.

PUMPKIN SQUARES

Yield 16 squares

1 3/4 C all purpose flour
1/3 C granulated sugar
1/3 C packed brown sugar
1 C cold butter, cut into small pieces
1 15 oz can of pumpkin
1 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
2 eggs
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/3 C chopped pecans (optional)-1/3 C seemed scant. I will add more next time!!

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, stir together flour, granulated sugar and brown sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside 1 cup of crumb mixture.

2. Press remaining crumb mixture onto the bottom and halfway up sides of ungreased 2-quart rectangular baking dish.

3. In another large bowl, stir together pumpkin, sweetened condensed milk, eggs, cinnamon, salt and allspice. Pour into crust-lined baking dish.

4. Stir pecans into reserved crumb mixture. Sprinkle the pecan mixture over the pumpkin mixture.

5. Bake 50-55 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack. Chill in refrigerator within 2 hours. Cover for longer storage in refrigerator.

ENJOY!!

3 comments:

michael said...

As a testament, I really don't care much for pumpkin pie. In fact, I generally avoid it unless there is not other dessert available and I have a can of whipped cream to cover it with.

I thought this recipe was excellent though, especially with whipped cream.

michael said...

Oops, I meant testimony.

Anna said...

sound good I will have to try them!