10/22/2007

A Good Read

Lately, I have been taking the kids to the library every few weeks to pick out new books and videos for them.

I love to read, but with so little spare time, I rarely allow myself the opportunity to do so. Plus when I am in the middle of a good book, my life becomes all consumed with finishing it. Finding out what happens. I spend all of my breaks/nap times reading and stay up way too late in the evenings with my nose glued to the quickly turning pages. For example, I finished the new Harry Potter this summer in less than a week, I think.

Well, it's been a some months since I reached the end of Harry (no pun intended), so a couple weeks ago, I actually picked up some much craved for fictional material for myself for a change.

One was a total junk read, but just what I wanted at the time. A book that I could blow through in a day. A Janet Evonovich, Stephanie Plum Novel called Twelve Sharp. It was ok. Just the same as all of the other ones, though. Funny, dim-witted, and frustrating. Stephanie is this moron of a bounty hunter in Jersey who is afraid of her own shadow and keeps going back and forth between the two men in her life. I just want her to settle down with the cute Italian cop already!

The other, The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini, was just as my sister Katie had described it....Aaaaamazing!! It was a beautiful story set in war-torn Afghanistan about two boyhood playmates, one with an undying loyalty, the other full of cowardice, a betrayal, and finally a hope for redemption. I loved the line that was spoken to Amir, the main character near the end of the book:There is a way to be good again. These words really resonated with me and I was so grateful that the character had a newfound hope instilled in him. A way to make things right.

It is a must read in my book (HA) !! In fact, I saw it on display for sale at Starbucks where it said that it is coming out as a movie. I am sure that the film will be awesome, too, but they are rarely able to capture the entire essence of the novel.

1 comment:

michael said...

The Kite Runner sounds pretty good. Maybe I'll make a point to read it next.

I'll pass on the Stephanie Plum junk though.