10/05/2006

Harsh Reality

Yesterday evening, I went on my first kidless outing since Emily was born. A quick trip to the grocery store and to pick up dinner on the way home.

I was feeling pretty cute and sassy as I walked around the store wearing one of my favorite maternity shirts that had been stretched to the max only a week earlier. It hung somewhat loosely over my now small, post-pregnancy, pot belly. It was nice to look closer to my old self again and not freakishly large.

Next stop, the noodle bowl place for dinner where my pride in my improving looks was quickly popped.

Kind, well meaning, noodle bowl employee: How is the baby?

Me: (thinking that he had heard me mention to another customer that I had just had a baby) Great, doing well.

Employee:
How many more months?

Me: (unconsciously grabbing my little pot) Oh, I had the baby last week.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

OH NO! That is the worst! Boy, i can't even think of anything else to say. Only you, Amanda.....