7/09/2006

Sabbath Rest

I think that as a Christian, I am definitely more on the liberal side of my Bible understanding and interpretations, in that I don't consider myself a "legalistic" person when it comes to my faith and beliefs. My understanding is that when Christ came to earth and died on the cross, he did away with the old law and brought about the new covenant.

What exactly does this mean or look like? Are the 10 Commandments now null and void? I know that Jesus reinforced some, but not all of them in the New Testament. The one that I am specifically interested in is "Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy." Any thoughts on what this day should look like? Is it ok to go to the mall or do housework on this day of rest? As a mom, I can never really stop working or doing my normal job on this day. I also believe that it is God's best for us to take a day off, but is this a requirement?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know it takes mroe than one Bible verse to really make a strong point on what scripture says about a specific topic, but I recently came across one in particular that addresses the question.
-Michael

Colossians 2:16-17:
16Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. 17These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.