3/11/2010

Two Posts in a Day--NO WAY!

So, after several requests for the recipe for our tasty dinner the other night...I decided to post it here. I got it from my favorite cooking magazine, Taste of Home's "Simple & Delicious." I had it for lunch again today and it was perhaps even better. Quiche makes an excellent leftover! Too bad the picky kids didn't like it. Oh well. I ate most of their leftovers...who can let awesome deliciousness go to waste?? Unfortunately, I overdid it a little. Must exercise tonight to make up for gorging!

Spinach & Bacon Hash Brown Quiche


3 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
1/4 cup of butter, melted
6 bacon strips, diced
1 small onion, chopped
3 eggs
1 cup half-and-half cream
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
2 cups chopped fresh spinach
2/3 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup shredded Swiss cheese


Press hash browns between paper towels to remove excess moisture; toss with butter. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a 9-in. pie plate. Bake at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until the edges are browned.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon and onion over medium heat until bacon is crisp (maybe 10-15 minutes...it was hard for me to tell), Remove to paper towels to drain. In a large bowel, combine the eggs, cream, salt and pepper. Stir in the spinach, cheeses and bacon mixture; pour into crust.

Bake at 350 degrees (remember to turn your oven on now...this is a very important step;-)for 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.

Enjoy!

I think that I will start regularly posting good recipes that I have tried. Also I would like to host a monthly cooking club where we try out new recipes, each bring ingredients and share in our treats. Any locals interested in joining me on a culinary adventure? Julia and Julia inspired me and I even bought Julia Child's cookbook, so we could try our hand at some fancier things, too.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yum!

I think we should do some sort of electronic cooking club. I just took a 6 week cooking class and the best part was all the new recipes and getting to try them out. That's really how you know if you'll ever make it again (so far, of all the recipes, I really only forsee myself making 3-4 of them. They just take a lot of work).

It would be cool to share recipes that actually work for busy people.....and are tasty and healthy enough too.

I'm glad you're blogging :)