2/20/2008

Rethinking my Music

Today, while driving with the kids I had an old CD playing some fun, booty shakin' tunes.

"Tonight, I'll be your naughty girl..."

Lucas pipes up from the backseat: "Mama, what's this song about?"

Me: (Caught off guard because he has never asked this before) "Uh, it's about a boyfriend and girlfriend, I mean a husband and wife...and dancing...and being pretty and...stuff. "

I was really fumbling around saying completely stupid things.

Lucas: (Clearly confused) "It's says naughty girl."

He recognized the phrase from me labeling Emily as such when she is intentionally not obeying me or does something really bad. I guess that I can understand his confusion.

I went to change the song at that point, but Lucas said that he liked it and wanted to hear it. After all, it was a song about his little sister;-).

Perhaps, I need to start listening to less of my radio favorites when the kids are around and to more wholesome stuff like Raffi (70's folksy kids music singer) or Christian music. That way I don't have to sweat again when trying to explain a song's meaning to my two year old.

"The more we get together, together, together,
the more we get together the happier we'll be.
"--Raffi

Hmmm, that sounds a little spicy, too!

That's it, no music for you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You know that Tina Turner song: What's love got to do with it?

It took quite a bit of nerve for me to ask my dad what she was talking about. What IS a "sexy alamotion" anyway?