6/20/2006

Play Dates are Dangerous

Take a few weeks ago for example, when my son found a real saw complete with sharp, knarled teeth on the floor when we played with a neighbor friend's little girl. He walked over to me holding it. I just about messed my pants. Turns out my friend's husband had been working on a construction project over the weekend and since her little one isn't walking yet, she didn't even think about the fact that tools were lying around. I am so glad that Lucas didn't fall on it or something.

We tried another friend's house today, one with no construction to be safe, but it still didn't matter. When I ran out to the car to get his booster seat for lunch, I left Lucas standing at their front screen crying for me. I was gone a few seconds. As I opened the screen, Lucas fell out. What the heck? The little 2 year old boy that we were visiting had shut the door on the other side of him, trapping Lucas between the shut door and the screen. Maybe it is a good thing that Lucas is such a skinny boy afterall. I felt like a crappy mom for letting that happen to my son. I know it is really not my fault, but if I had just taken him it wouldn't have happened. Luckily he was fine as soon as I comforted him. Later on, when Lucas pooped on their floor, I didn't feel so bad;-).

In both cases, Lucas could have been seriously hurt. We are staying home for a while!! It's a crazy world we live in when your one year old can get killed on a play date.

No comments: