4/18/2006

Mind Malfunction


I made a big oops while making our annual Easter bread this year. It was my first time preparing it solo. I've always done it with Mike's mom and sister in the past. But I was determined to keep the tradition alive and go it alone this time (as they are back in Florida).

Let me just start out by saying that all in all it is a grueling 6-7 hour process. It's a yeast bread and needs to rise 3 times before you finally bake it. I was at about the 5 hour mark and thought that it was nearing the time to put it in the oven. So I preheated it to 325 degrees. Ignoring the funny smell that filled my kitchen, I worked to clean up and get Lucas to bed. When I came back to put the dough on the baking pan and stick it in, I couldn't find it where I had left it to rise.

Oh crap, I opened the heated oven in horror to find the plastic bowl holding the dough completely melted down. The starting to bake dough sat helpless and sickly in the melted mess. RUINED was my first thought, just suck it up throw it away. So frustrating that I had wasted a whole day and all of those ingredients. Not to mention the fact that Mike would be so disappointed. I was crushed. What an idiotic thing to do.

In the end, I just went about preparing it as usual(the dough looked and smelled normal besides the bit that baked, which I tossed). It didn't seem to have melted plastic in it. Funny thing is this years Easter bread turned out to be the best darn loaf of the stuff ever. I've got to screw up like that more often.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You still have to take a picture of the melted bowl and post it.

-Michael