11/15/2004

Grocery Fun

Lately, I have really enjoyed myself at the grocery store. Boy am I turning into a mom or what?! It's like one of my few outings these days.

Tonight I stopped by Albertson's on my way home (I'm loving that there is one familiar store from home here) to pick up a few things. As I turned down an aisle, I noticed a woman pushing her cart and dancing along to the very cheesy song that was blaring over the store's speakers. A very embarrassed teenage daughter trailed behind. "Mom, would you stop doing that," she said with gritted teeth and a scowl. I cracked a smile and said, "Your mom is cool." I can totally picture myself being a goofy, dorky, but fun mother like her someday. The mom's eyes lit up as she thanked me and the daughter seemed more annoyed but slightly tickled, too. "Don't encourage her," she retorted over her shoulder.

Then a special announcement came over the speakers (cutting into the silly song). "Tonight is cheap chicken night. Come by and pick up 8 pieces of fried chicken in the deli for a no fuss night. Just $4.99." Mmmmmm, I could go for finger lickin' good and no fuss on a Monday night. I booked it over to the deli for a greasy bag of the good stuff. Mike was pleased. It sure beat the leftovers that I was planning to serve.

What a great shopping trip. Unfortunately, I spent $89. I always seem to do that when I go in for a few items. So this evening, I am sitting here clipping and organizing my coupons for the next time. And planning ways to humiliate my teenagers in the future.

No comments: