8/31/2011

A Little "Healthish" Comfort Food for Fall

With a new month starting tomorrow, the air becoming crisper in the morning and at night and school being back in full swing, I can't help but get excited about our upcoming season.  One of my very favorites...Fall.  It is quite a welcome and refreshing break after such a long and sweltering summer.

I really appreciate living in a place now where I experience an actual change of seasons.  It's really gorgeous to see the leaves change colors and fall to the ground in their crunchy glory.  I love the smells of my favorite Amish Pumpkin bread and Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins baking in the oven, the warmth of hot coffee and the kid's cocoa in the morning, and the feel of the chill in the air.

At Lucas' request and to celebrate the coming of Fall, I made an easy, new and tasty recipe the other night.  And because I am a nice person, I am going to share it with you now.

Quick & Easy Italian Meatball Soup


Start to Finish: 25 minutes  Makes: 4 servings

Ingredients:
  1. 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes with onion and garlic, undrained
  2. 1 14 oz. can reduced-sodium beef broth or 1 3/4 cups homemade beef broth
  3. 1 1/2 cups water
  4. 1/2 tsp. dried Italian seasoning, crushed
  5. 1/2 of a 16 oz. package of Italian-style frozen cooked meatballs
  6. 1 cup of frozen loose-pack mixed veggies (I probably doubled this and used three different kinds that included broccoli, peppers, corn, peas, zucchini, carrot coins, etc.).  Next time, I plan to add some fresh spinach at the end, too.
  7. 1/2 cup of small dried pasta (such as ditalini, macaroni, or orzo)
  8. 1 Tbsp, shredded or grated Parmesan (optional)
  9. Fresh basil to taste (optional)
In a large saucepan, combine undrained tomatoes, broth, water and Italian seasoning.  Bring to a boil.  Add meatballs, frozen veggies and pasta.  Return to boiling; reduce heat.  Simmer, covered, about 10 minutes or until veggies and pasta are tender.  If desired, sprinkle each serving with Parmesan.

My whole family loved it which says a lot, as kids can often be hard to please.  Even picky Emily was telling me that I am the best cook in the world.

Next time, I will try to take a photo to include in the post.  The pasta sucked up all of the broth, so it looks kind of scary and unappetizing in the fridge now.  I suggest draining the broth out and storing it separately in your leftovers (if you have any).

Enjoy and happy almost Fall!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay! A recipe......I'll admit. This looks hard. But maybe it's not as hard as I imagine it would be. How big does the pot need to be? I think i just lack the right materials.

I still love your beenie-weenie recipe.

And I love that you want to add spinach at the end. You would.

Amanda Lomonaco said...

I have a 6 quart stock pot. Probably a 3-4 quart pot would be enough.

Karin, it is so easy. Most of the stuff is ready made, store bought, so there is no chopping, etc. just opening cans and bags and dumping it in. And the spinach, I would and you would, too!